Monday, March 22, 2010

Politics

I've been a bit lazy today (which is above the REAL lazy I was all weekend). Kitchen, laundry, a bit of cooking.. but mainly playing with my new phone! While I've been researching every free "app" I can find, I've had the pleasure of watching several people say really nasty things about President Obama and the Democratic party on Facebook. Now let me preface this post with this: I've witnessed the same nasty things from folks opposed to Republican agendas. So here's my rant:

WHY do people believe it necessary to say such nasty things about elected officials? And more importantly GROUPS of elected officials? I know, I know - that's a perk of being American. Free Speech. And I believe in free speech - ask anyone that knows me : ) But I'm having a real problem with the not-so-pleasant things people say about INDIVIDUALS because of their jobs... especially when that job serves the public. Think about it - police officers and teachers get a lot of bashing too... and it seems that it doesn't matter how good a person or how good your intentions are if you enter into one of these career fields you'd better be prepared to be judged accordingly.

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone express feelings that computer programmers are wicked (though some programmers write damaging computer viruses), or that real estate agents are evil (though some of us have known one that wasn't completely honest with buyers), or that restaurant servers are thieves (I'm sure there are a few that don't claim all their tips on their tax returns), or... I guess you get my point.

So today, regardless of how you feel about the healthcare reform bill... please pray for ALL our elected officials.

No comments: