Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Pay It Forward... from Mom

I think I mentioned earlier that I had a slight interest in beginning to blog after my Mom started and I enjoyed reading hers so much {check it out at http:/stitchinbythelake.blogspot.com} she's a hoot and a great writer! ANYWAY - I've been working on what to write about, trying to learn my way around, etc. and was reminded last night that what really kicked me into starting was that I wanted to join in on a "Pay It Forward" kindof fun my mother and some of her blogger friends were doing. Following is the paragraph from her blog that got me started:

"Julie at Through the Barn Door, a new blogging acquaintence, is participating in a blogging exchange - Pay It Forward. I've decided to join with her and others in this project which is based on the Movie "Pay It Forward." This exchange focuses on acts or deeds of kindness being done without expecting something in return, just passing it on, with hope that the recipients of the acts of kindness perform their own acts of kindness. So here's how it works. I will make and send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment to this post on my blog requesting to join this Pay It Forward exchange. I don't know right now what the gift will be, and it probably won't be this month but it will be some time this summer, I promise. :) If you are one of the three, what YOU have to do in return is to pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog. So, anybody want to join in?"

Hopefully, I'll get to do some things like this in the future - for now, I'll share something special in my life:

Please allow me to talk about my children a bit and add an even more "cool factor" to this fun - originated by the film. I am very blessed to have very kind, compassionate children. My quite impatient son gets VERY frustrated with his little sister who's fastest speed is a tad bit above slow :-) and my daughter with a heart bigger than the moon has a really hard time understanding why her brother is usually impatient when helping her - but the point is, they ARE there for each other. (I wasn't sure this was ever going to happen when they were 13 and 10)!! This - is an amazingly wonderful thing. Even better, is that I also watch them both do small things constantly that mean a lot... opening the door for others, helping someone struggling with their buggy in a parking lot, reaching something on a high shelf for someone in a wheel chair... and I could go on and on. Last night when my son came by my room for our nightly "How was your day" and goodnights... he said, "Hey Mom - do you remember that movie where this guy helps someone... and the movie goes on to show how the people continue to help others...?" I replied, "Yes, the name of it is Pay It Forward - great movie". He went on to say that he and his girlfriend had watched it again that afternoon and what a cool movie he thought it was... which reminded me what a cool kid he was... which reminded me what a blessing my children are... which reminded me about my Mom's post. Wow, that was a little drawn out...

Maybe my (a little wordy) story will help you remember a special blessing you have and would like to share - like I wanted to share about my kids - I would love to hear them!

No comments: